Bible-related forgeries and hoaxes:
Hoax: A message allegedly from Yahweh
said to have been
found in human DNA:
The Daily Currant published an article about what would have been the greatest scientific discovery of all time:
They announced on 2013-FEB-01 that Harvard University scientists had just found a message from God located within human DNA!
Their web site reported:
- The scientists had been exploring an obscure part of the human genome and noted repetitive mathematical patterns in the DNA.
- Charles Watson, the lead scientist, said:
"We knew the patterns weren't naturally occurring, but we couldn't come up with any convincing explanation for them. On a whim, we started cross referencing the patterns with language databases and we were shocked to find that the patterns corresponded to ancient Aramaic."
- When translated into English, the message stated:
"Hello my children. This is Yahweh, the one true Lord. You have found creation's secret. Now share it peacefully with the world."
- Watson continued:
"This doesn't mean that the theory of evolution is wrong. It's just incomplete. It seems that in reality the Judeo-Christian god actually started the whole process. And instead of just telling us about natural selection, he left a hidden signature that we could find 200,000 years later when we invented the right technology. It makes total sense really."
"Before this discovery I was a committed atheist. Now I'm a devout Christian. This is exactly the kind of proof I needed to ease my doubts."
- Bishop Janice Taylor of the Anglican Communion said:
"I think the message clearly indicates that God wants us to co-exist peacefully with our fellow human beings."
- The leader of the Southern Baptists Convention -- an evangelical Christian denomination -- said that the message showed that the Christian God is the only true God. 1
Aramaic was the main language used in Galilee and Judea in the first century CE, during the time of Yeshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ).
Significance of Yahweh's message:
A 22 word text embedded in human DNA could not have occurred by chance. It could not develop randomly. It would have had to be placed there by an intelligence with powers well beyond what human beings are currently capable of. If taken at face value, it would show that of all the many thousands of gods and goddesses worshipped by humans are false, with one exception: Yahweh.
However, there are some inconsistencies in the story.
- If God embedded the message in human DNA at the time that he created Adam and Eve, it would not have been in the Aramaic language because that language had not been developed at that time.
- The article spread rapidly throughout the Internet. However, one report said that various Internet sources reported that the discovery happened at many different universities.
- The following video was posted on You Tube on 2013-JUN-06, about five months after the Daily Currant article was posted. Yet it implies that researchers at Harvard made the announcement on JUN-06:
- The mystery becomes clear if one reads the "About" section of The Daily Currant's web site. It states:
"The Daily Currant is an English language online satirical newspaper that covers global politics, business, technology, entertainment, science, health and media. It is accessible from over 190 countries worldwide. ... Our mission is to ridicule the timid ignorance which obstructs our progress, and promote intelligence -- which presses forward. ... Our stories are purely fictional. However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire and often refer and link to real events happening in the world." 3
The article in the The Daily Currant is clearly a hoax meant for entertainment value only. There was no message from God. There was no DNA research team at Harvard that detected repetitive mathematical patterns in the DNA.
Responses from the believing public and from skeptics:
- There were many Christian believers who assumed that the Daily Currant article was accurate and who believed the DNA message to be real and to have come from God. For example, an article in the web site "Secrets of the Fed" contained the following comments: 4
- Katrina Dunkin from Stonecroft Ministries posted: "Jesus Christ is God incarnate. He came to us IN THE FLESH and people didn't believe. So, why would anyone believe that this means anything either? People who don't want to believe won't. Most of them simply because they don't want to admit that there is a Higher authority that we all must submit to. They want to be their own gods. Those who will believe will...and those who won't will make up every kind of excuse or explain away anything that points to God's true existence. As Christian, I will tell the good news as I am told to do, but I will not force it on anyone. It is a personal choice to follow God or otherwise. I can only share the gospel. I cannot make anyone believe...that is a personal God-given choice for every person."
- Charlie Crawford posted: "This is very cool. The Bible codes are fascinating as well. Einstein searched his whole life for codes to the Bible, he believed there was so much more. Now there is software for Bible codes. The IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) have a unit that works with a university there using Bible codes to read general Bible prophecies. The Hebrew aleph bet letters all have numerical values for this. It is interesting this is in Aramaic. Excellent article! Thank you!"
- Ana Lorena posted: "Ha, ha rebellious humans, still adding to his words. Where exactly, do you read the stupid concept of evolution? "Yes, I believe in you but is going to be my way, ok." 4
- There were also skeptics who posted comments to the "Secrets of the Fed" article:
- Dennis Knudsom posted: "They found something like that on my grand daughters DNA, only her's read 'modified by Monsanto'."
- Joe Powell posted: "This article is from a satirical site. why do I feel like I've wasted 3 min of my life?"
- Linda Barlow posted: "Why would God share the secret of creation with imperfect humans He knows some nut would misuse it. Christians are saved by grace through Christ this is what makes humans holy and able to stand before God then baptized by the Holy Spirit able to move in the Holy Spirit. Even then it is not our business to know the secret of creation-that is for God alone." 4
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- "Message From God Found Hidden Inside DNA Sequence,"The Daily Currant, 2013-FEB-01, at: http://dailycurrant.com/
- "Yahweh's Message in our DNA - Please Watch!!!," Keeper of Gods Word, 2013-JUN-06, at:http://youtu.be/
- "The Daily Currant: About," is at: http://dailycurrant.com/
- "Harvard University Discovers Message from God in Our DNA Code!," Secrets of the Fed, undated, at: http://www.secretsofthefed.com/
Copyright © 2014 by Ontario Consultants on
Originally published: 2014-SEP-22
Last updated 2014-SEP-22
Author: Bruce A Robinson