Religion/science conflicts & "hot" topics
Beliefs about the origins & development
of the species, the Earth, and the rest
of the universe.
People hold various conflicting beliefs about these topics. They include:
Evolution, with the Theory of Evolution as its basis,
- Old Earth
- Theistic Creationism.
Only one of these -- or perhaps none -- can reflect reality.
This section discusses beliefs about both:
Abiogenists (the origin of life) -- how the first living entity came to be, and
the development of all the species of living entities that we observe today, including creation science, intelligent design, theistic evolution, and naturalistic evolution.
Introductory essays: (Please read these first)
Beliefs about the origin of the species:
Carbon-14 dating techniques:
The conflicts among evolution, ID, and creation science:
The Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament):
How old is the earth and the rest of the universe?
Additional donated essays by visitors to this web site:
- Genesis 1:2: The creation stories:
- Genesis 6 to 8: Noah's flood:
- Three essays donated by Dr. Zvi Shkedi: On the harmony of a
literal interpretation of the Torah and science:
- By David Wilson:
- By Alton C. Thompson:
Information, books, links, and news events:
Note: The term "billion" is used throughout this web site in its North American sense to
refer to one thousand million.
- Harriet McLeod, "South Carolina legislator seeks to give God credit for state fossil," Reuters, 2014-MAR-31, at: http://www.reuters.com/
- Evan Bleier, "S.C. lawmaker won't let mammoth become state fossil unless God is credited as creator" UPI News, 2014-APR-02, at:
- "Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'." TPM, 2012-OCT-05, at: http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/
- "Scientists to Texas Board of Education: Teach Evolution Right!," National Center for Science Education, 2009-MAY-19, at: http://ncse.com/
- "Darwin Day approaches," The National Center for Science Education, 2015-JAN-12, at: http://ncse.com/
- John Eligon & Michael Schwirtz, "Senate Candidate Provokes Ire With ‘Legitimate Rape’ Comment," New York Times, 2012-AUG-19, at: https://www.nytimes.com/
- Mary Beth Griggs, "When Evolution’s Controversial, Declaring a State Fossil Can Get Tricky," Smithsonian Institutiom, 2014-APR-09, at: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/
Copyright © 1995 to 2020 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance. Yes, that is not a typo. We have been online for almost 24 years!
Originally published: 1995-NOV-03
Most recent update: 2021-JUN-03
Author: B.A. Robinson
Copyright © 2020 by Ontario
Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Latest update: 2020-JAN-
Author: B.A. Robinson