Timeline of recent environmental concerns
Part 3: 2014: Beliefs of Christians,
warming. Author's opinion.
2014: Opposing statements by Christians:
2014: Pause in global warming believed to be caused by volcanoes:
Climate scientists have reached a near consensus that global warming is happening and that its primarily cause human activity. However, the world's yearly average temperature does not increase smoothly. A temperature graph looks more like the side-view of a staircase rather than a smooth ramp. There are intervals of time, about 15 years in length when the average world temperature is relatively constant, and then a rapid temperature rise to a higher level:
Drawing of a staircase for visualization
(not a graph of global temperatures)
We appear to be nearing the end of one of these constant-temperature segments to the "staircase."
Webmaster's option (bias alert):
Climate change deniers often claim that global warming is not happening. As proof, they often point out that the world's temperature has been more or less constant over the past 15 years. Either:
- They are unaware of the staircase nature of global warming, in which case they can be ignored because they can hardly be considered as experts, or
- They are aware of the staircase phenomenon, in which case they can be ignored because they are being deceitful.
End of the webmaster's opinion.
2014: Global temperatures expected to resume increasing soon:
As of 2014-MAR, we appear to be nearing the end of an interval of relatively constant temperature and can expect a rapid increase in the near future.
Volcanoes are known to release tiny particles of sulphur high into the atmosphere. They reflect sunlight, prevent the sun's rays from warming the ground as much, and cause the Earth's surface temperatures to drop, stay the same, or increase more slowly.
Also during early 2014, Dr Benjamin Santer wrote an article the journal Nature Geoscience which said in part:
"We show that climate model simulations without the effects of early 21st century volcanic eruptions overestimate the tropospheric warming observed since 1998. To reduce these uncertainties, better observations of eruption-specific properties of volcanic aerosols are needed, as well as improved representation of these eruption-specific properties in climate model simulations." 7
An unexpected, massive volcanic eruption -- the largest in the 20th century -- occurred in 1991.
Mount Pinatubo exploded in the Cabusilan Mountain range on the Philippine island of Luzon. It ejected millions of tons of ash and gas into the atmosphere, reaching an altitude of 21 miles. The average world temperatures dropped an average of 0.5 degrees C (0.9 degrees F) over the next two years. Seventeen smaller eruptions occurred between the year 2000 and 2009.
Professor Piers Forster, from the University of Leeds, specializes in the Earth's climate. He said:
"Volcanoes give us only a temporary respite from the relentless warming pressure of continued increases in CO2."
Some more environment/climate change articles that may be of interest to you:
- Part 1: 2013: Quotes. Background. Bay of Bengal incident. Decline in Canada's arctic ice cover.
- Part 2: 2013/2014: Canada loses its seasons. 316 North American cities to be under water.
- Part 3: 2013/2014: Christians, Republicans' & Democrats' beliefs differ. Volcanoes cause pauses in global warming. Americans' views on climate change.
- Part 4: 2014/2015: How Americans viewed climate change. HFC limits. Groups abandoning ALEC. Paris Conference reaches agreement.
- Part 5: 2016-FEB to AUG: Climate change concerns: Ocean levels rising. Displacement of animal species.
Greenland glacier melting. "Third Pole" glaciers melting.
- Part 6: 2016-SEP: Flooding on the U.S. East coast. U.S. and China ratify the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement. Pres. Obama: trends are "terrifying."
- Part 7: 2016-SEP: Obama comments on warming (Con't). 31 countries ratify Paris agreement. Trump zigzags on Climate Change.
- Part 8: 2016-Summer/Fall: Events showing that climate change is adversely affecting life on Earth
- Part 9: 2016-OCT: Did God send Hurricane Matthew as an anti-LGBT message to humanity? Alternate opinions. Hurricane Matthew re-enters Atlantic Ocean.
- Part 10: 2016-NOV: U.S. Costal real estate threatened. Rapid temperature rise in the Arctic. Very large poll about climate change.
- Part 11: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's climate change beliefs. New heads of federal government departments. Extinction of 11 species.
- Part 12: 2016-DEC: President-elect Trump's 16 Promised Plans on Energy and the Environment.
- Part 13: 2017-JAN: 2016 Was The Hottest Year On Record, Ever.
- Part 14: 2017-JAN: Recent Climate Change Measurements!
- Part 15:2017-JAN to APR:
Climate Change Debate is Changing. What if All the Earth's Glaciers Melted?
- Part 16: 2017-JAN to APR: Donald Trump Becomes President. EPA Foe Installed as Head of EPA! Hundreds Die During Flood in Colombia. Carbon Dioxide in Atmosphere Reaches New High.
- Part 17: Studies of the Effects
of Sea-level Rise in California between Now and the Year 2100.
- Part 18: President Trump Decided that the U.S. Will Quit the Paris Agreement.
Explosive Reactions to his Plan, nationally and globally.
- Part 19: More Reactions to the U.S.
Withdraw from the Paris Agreement. Record high temperatures in San Francisco and elsewhere.
- Part 20:2017-AUG/SEP : Group of 20 summit meeting, Hurricane Harvey attacks Texas. Is climate change increasing the
severity or frequency of hurricanes?
- Part 21: 2017-SEP: 2017-SEP: Can government regulations help? U.S. record high temperatures. Did God send Hurricane Harvey to attack TX?.
Hurricane Irma attacks Caribbean, FL, SC, GA. Hurricanes Jose & Maria.
- Part 22: 2017-SEP/OCT: The most expensive recent hurricanes to attack the United States. Does God use Hurricanes to send a message?
Conflicts, climate change cause rise in hunger.
- Part 23: 2017-OCT to 2017-DEC: All UN states have signed the Paris Agreement. Government report contradicts the President. Comment by
the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Part 24: 2018-JAN to MAY: New temperature records. President signs bill increasing research."Onion's" amusing fake news. Sea levels rising; cities under water.
Climate change beliefs as function of age.
Proposed Mount Trumpmore project. Volcano in Hawaii. How global warming is affecting California.
Animal, Insect, & Bird Ranges Shrink.
Nutrients in rice reduced. California Governor's comments.
- Part 25: 2018-JUN & JUL: During 2018-JUN: A very few encouraging signs. Hurricanes slowing as winds increase. Changes in Antarctic ice and environment. Norway's growing season increased. A new world highest temperature. Future ocean levels.
- Part 26: 2018-JUL: New York City reports to the UN. Impacts of
humans burning up all our fossil energy. WWW.CLIMATECENTRAL.ORG's tools.
Death Valley, CA, sets new record. Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern lands. Hurricane Florence.
- Part 27: 2018-AUG & SEP: Dissapearing wetlands in Louisiana. Climate change affecting Northern countries. Hurricane Florence attacks the Carolinas. Pat Robinson's "Shield of Protection" doesn't work.
- Part 28: 2018-SEP & OCT: Trump Admin. predicts: 7ºF temperature
rise by the year 2099. Impact of climate change on women. Green Building Week & commitment. New IPCC report predicts a "Strong Risk of
as early as 2040.
- Part 29: 2018-OCT & NOV: Southern Baptist Convention downplays IPCC Report. Climate changing Fall season. Ozone layer continues to heal.
Trump Confuses Weather
- Part 30: 2018-NOV: Hope for people who have no access
to clean water. Trump Administration releases National Climate Assessment report.
Reactions to the report.
- Part 31: 2018-DEC: How to lie about climate change. UN head repeats warning. Major report on Arctic climate. Greenhouse gases soar. Can climate scientists be trusted?
- Part 32: 2019-JAN: Collecting plastic trash from the Pacific Ocean. U.S. Public opinion on the environment.
Status of climate change at the start of 2019.
- Part 33: 2019-JAN-MAR: If Ocean Cleanup fails.... Public opinion on environment.
Climate change in early 2019. Sea rise from Antarctic melting. Denmark fights cow flatulence. Disconnect between the EPA and climate scientists. Change is urgent NOW!
The following information sources were used to prepare and update the above
essay. The hyperlinks are not necessarily still active today.
- Dan Bewley, "Oklahoma Scientists, Christians, Urge Congress To Act On Climate Change," NewsOn6.com, 2013-JUL-22, at: http://www.newson6.com/story/
- Hal Reed et al., "Petition to Speaker Boehner, et al., signed by 200 scientists/educators, Sojourners, 2013-JUL-10, at: http:/sojo.net
- Raveena Aulakh, "Rising sea levels will seal fate of 316 U.S. cities, study warns," Toronto Star, 2013-JUL-31, at: http://www.thestar.com/
- Rebecca Riffkin, "Climate change not a top worry in U.S.," Gallup, 2014-MAR-12, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey M. Jones, "In U.S., Most Do Not See Global Warming as Serious Threat," Gallup, 2014-MAR-13, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- Jeffrey M. Jones, "Americans Don't Attribute Colder Weather to Climate Change," Gallup, 2014-MAR-14, at: http://www.gallup.com/
- "Volcanoes behind global warming 'pause' - scientists," New Zealand Herald, 2014-FEB-24, at: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
- Monica Anderson, "For Earth Day, here’s how Americans view environmental issues," Pew Research Center, 2016-APR-22, at: http://www.pewresearch.org/
Copyright © 2013 & 2016 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally posted: 2013-JUL
Latest update: 2016-SEP-27
Author: B.A. Robinson